Choosing the perfect photographer for your special day is no doubt one of the most crucial aspects of the wedding planning process. Once you have put together a shortlist of wedding photographers in Leeds, it’s time to meet each one and see who complements your unique vision. With this in mind, here’s a round up of essential questions to ask your potential wedding photographer that will make choosing the right one for you simple.
Compatibility and Contracts
With so many affordable wedding photographers in Leeds, how do you go about starting the elimination process? The initial interview stage is a great opportunity to set your expectations for the day.
Begin with the following questions:
- What is your background? This question will give you an insight into your photographer’s experience and it’s an ideal opportunity to peruse their portfolio. It will give you an idea of how many weddings they have previously shot and give you a benchmark for photo quality. This is also a great time to ask if they have ever worked with your venue or vendors previously.
- What is your photography style? Ideally, you want to find a photographer that complements you as a couple and so it’s wise to explore the photographer’s speciality in terms of highly stylised, traditional, creative or artsy shots. Perhaps you want a natural wedding photographer or particularly a creative wedding photographer?
- Will you blend into the background or be a visible presence? What will you wear?
- Will you be the photographer at our wedding? Some wedding photography companies will have more than one photographer and asking this question from the get-go will help you to avoid disappointment on the day. If you’ve connected with a photographer in your initial meeting, it is natural to want them to be behind the camera rather than an associate that you have never met.
- Is there a contract? A professional wedding photographer should always provide you with a formal written contract. If there isn’t a contract, this should be an immediate red flag.
I have been a professional Photographer for ten years and I was originally trained in film photography at The Glasgow School of Art. I consider my style to be relaxed, natural and creative with a focus on candid wedding photography.
I shoot every wedding that books Victoria Baker Weddings, I won't outsource any work whatsoever, so all the shooting and post production work of your wedding photography will be done by me. If I use an assistant photographer, I will still edit all the images.
I have a professional contract for my wedding photography services which is signed by myself and yourselves. This is required in the booking process. That said, booking is super easy, to check my availability, contact me here.
Photography Packages, Proofs and Prints
When you have booked your photographer, you can then begin to delve into what to expect on the day, but what should you ask before you sign on the dotted line?
- What does the photography package include? Think about travel costs, retouching, engagement shots, albums.
- How many hours will you be at our wedding?
- Can I customise the package?
- Can I give you a list of shots that I want?
- When will we get to see the photos?
- When will we receive our retouched wedding photos?
I offer two standard wedding photography packages and I'm more than happy to offer a bespoke package tailored to your needs as well. A standard package includes 8 hours shoot time, but this can be longer or shorter depending on your requirements. Also, included in your package, is all the post production and retouching of your wedding photographs. I don't charge for any travel to your venue and I include a meeting/recce of your venue prior to your wedding.
I guarantee your wedding photographs will be sent to you in your online gallery within 4 weeks of your wedding day :)
Costs and Cancellations
Last but not least, it’s time to get down to the serious questions that address how much of a deposit you will need to put down to secure the photographer’s services, when you will receive a contract and any important details about the cancellation policy. This is also a great time to discuss payment options.
- Is a deposit required and when would I need to pay it?
- Do you offer a payment plan?
- Do you have liability insurance?
- Do you have a backup plan if equipment breaks?
- What happens if I need to cancel?
VICTORIA BAKER WEDDINGS is completely covered! I have full liability insurance and equipment insurance. I also have 3 professional cameras just in case one decides to have a little melt down on your wedding day!
Cancellations are rare, but if this does happen, just contact me and we can either rearrange your date depending on availability, or cancel completely. I take a 20% deposit on booking myself as your Leeds wedding photographer, this is transferable to another wedding date, but non refundable except for extreme circumstances.
Most of all, I want you to be comfortable in your booking of your wedding photographer. This is why I have a contract in place, it is to cover everyone, most of all, you guys :)
Once you have asked all of these essential questions, ask yourself if you felt a connection with the photographer, will you feel comfortable with them shooting the most personal parts of the day and if they addressed all of your concerns with confidence. Choosing a wedding photographer in Leeds is a huge commitment, so bookmark this page and use it as a checklist before signing on the dotted the line.
I like to meet all potential wedding clients face to face where we can, or via a Skype meeting. I think it's really important to "click" with clients and find a connection so you feel comfortable on your wedding day which is the most important thing!
Are you looking for a wedding photographer Leeds or beyond? Get in touch today.